From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] eject and util-linux blocker
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 09:33:28
1 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 17 March 2015 16:07:29 Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> I don't have / on lvm. /boot and / are on regular partitions.
5 >> Everything else, /usr, /var and /home, are on lvm. Keep in mind, I
6 >> was trying to avoid that init thingy.
7 > I remember something of that discussion, but not why you wanted to keep /usr
8 > on a separate partition. Why is that? Is it one of those sacred cows that
9 > "just growed" like Topsy? :)
13 Well, /boot doesn't change to much, plus it is fairly small anyway. The
14 root partition doesn't change a whole lot either. /usr tho, it tends to
15 grow. If nothing else, it grows as KDE grows but it grows with the
16 number of kernels I have too. Of course, other packages grows too.
17 /var is good to have on a separate partition since sometimes a log file
18 can grow to some outrageous sizes. I've actually had that happen twice
19 over the years. Something goes goofy and fills up a log file until it
20 is seriously huge and fills up /var. /home is separate for obvious
21 reasons plus mine is really huge. 1.8TBs right now.
22
23 It started out that it was advised to set up partitions like this. Then
24 LVM came along and made it even more reasonable since I can grow the
25 partitions that need it. The init thingy because of some packages being
26 moved to /usr didn't hurt the cause I guess either.
27
28 So, I have it set up the way I do because for my setup, it is the best
29 way. I can adjust things without having to have spare drives to move
30 things around with.
31
32 Dale
33