From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] eject and util-linux blocker
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 10:21:16
1 On Wednesday 18 March 2015 04:33:18 Dale wrote:
2
3 > Well, /boot doesn't change to much, plus it is fairly small anyway. The
4 > root partition doesn't change a whole lot either. /usr tho, it tends to
5 > grow. If nothing else, it grows as KDE grows but it grows with the
6 > number of kernels I have too. Of course, other packages grows too.
7 > /var is good to have on a separate partition since sometimes a log file
8 > can grow to some outrageous sizes. I've actually had that happen twice
9 > over the years. Something goes goofy and fills up a log file until it
10 > is seriously huge and fills up /var. /home is separate for obvious
11 > reasons plus mine is really huge. 1.8TBs right now.
12 >
13 > It started out that it was advised to set up partitions like this. Then
14 > LVM came along and made it even more reasonable since I can grow the
15 > partitions that need it. The init thingy because of some packages being
16 > moved to /usr didn't hurt the cause I guess either.
17 >
18 > So, I have it set up the way I do because for my setup, it is the best
19 > way. I can adjust things without having to have spare drives to move
20 > things around with.
21
22 Yes, I see all that, except for /usr. It does grow, but under some sort of
23 control, which (it seems to me) isn't enough cause to submit to all the
24 indignities involved in getting your init thingy working.
25
26 Here's the relevant part of my fstab:
27
28 /dev/sda1 /boot ext2 relatime,noauto 1 2
29 /dev/md5 / ext4 relatime 1 1
30 /dev/vg7/home /home ext4 relatime 1 2
31 /dev/vg7/common /home/prh/common ext4 relatime 1 3
32 /dev/vg7/boinc /home/prh/boinc ext4 relatime 1 2
33 /dev/vg7/virt /home/prh/.VirtualBox ext4 relatime 1 3
34 /dev/vg7/portage /var/portage ext4 relatime 1 2
35 /dev/vg7/packages /usr/portage/packages ext4 relatime 1 3
36 /dev/vg7/distfiles /usr/portage/distfiles ext4 relatime 1 3
37 /dev/vg7/local /usr/local ext4 relatime 1 3
38 /dev/vg7/opt /opt ext4 relatime 1 2
39 /dev/vg7/tmp /tmp ext2 relatime 1 2
40 /dev/vg7/vartmp /mnt/scratch/ ext2 relatime 1 2
41
42 I ought to move /var to its own partition, for the reason you gave, and it's
43 also time I put /boot back on /dev/md1 where it used to be (/dev/sda1 &
44 /dev/sdb1).
47 Rgds
48 Peter.