From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] eject and util-linux blocker
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 16:14:53
1 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 18 March 2015 04:33:18 Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Well, /boot doesn't change to much, plus it is fairly small anyway. The
5 >> root partition doesn't change a whole lot either. /usr tho, it tends to
6 >> grow. If nothing else, it grows as KDE grows but it grows with the
7 >> number of kernels I have too. Of course, other packages grows too.
8 >> /var is good to have on a separate partition since sometimes a log file
9 >> can grow to some outrageous sizes. I've actually had that happen twice
10 >> over the years. Something goes goofy and fills up a log file until it
11 >> is seriously huge and fills up /var. /home is separate for obvious
12 >> reasons plus mine is really huge. 1.8TBs right now.
13 >>
14 >> It started out that it was advised to set up partitions like this. Then
15 >> LVM came along and made it even more reasonable since I can grow the
16 >> partitions that need it. The init thingy because of some packages being
17 >> moved to /usr didn't hurt the cause I guess either.
18 >>
19 >> So, I have it set up the way I do because for my setup, it is the best
20 >> way. I can adjust things without having to have spare drives to move
21 >> things around with.
22 > Yes, I see all that, except for /usr. It does grow, but under some sort of
23 > control, which (it seems to me) isn't enough cause to submit to all the
24 > indignities involved in getting your init thingy working.
25 >
26 > Here's the relevant part of my fstab:
27 >
28 > /dev/sda1 /boot ext2 relatime,noauto 1 2
29 > /dev/md5 / ext4 relatime 1 1
30 > /dev/vg7/home /home ext4 relatime 1 2
31 > /dev/vg7/common /home/prh/common ext4 relatime 1 3
32 > /dev/vg7/boinc /home/prh/boinc ext4 relatime 1 2
33 > /dev/vg7/virt /home/prh/.VirtualBox ext4 relatime 1 3
34 > /dev/vg7/portage /var/portage ext4 relatime 1 2
35 > /dev/vg7/packages /usr/portage/packages ext4 relatime 1 3
36 > /dev/vg7/distfiles /usr/portage/distfiles ext4 relatime 1 3
37 > /dev/vg7/local /usr/local ext4 relatime 1 3
38 > /dev/vg7/opt /opt ext4 relatime 1 2
39 > /dev/vg7/tmp /tmp ext2 relatime 1 2
40 > /dev/vg7/vartmp /mnt/scratch/ ext2 relatime 1 2
41 >
42 > I ought to move /var to its own partition, for the reason you gave, and it's
43 > also time I put /boot back on /dev/md1 where it used to be (/dev/sda1 &
44 > /dev/sdb1).
48 Well, since I set this rig up, I have had to grow /usr twice. The only
49 reason I have not had to grow it recently is because I moved all the
50 portage stuff to /var. In the past, I had to move everything to another
51 drive, rework the partitions, move everything back and then hope for the
52 best. With my current setup, I just grow the partition and carry on as
53 usual, generally while I am doing stuff on the system since I don't
54 think I even have to unmount the partitions.
55
56 As I said, this is what works best for me. As long as it works, it is
57 the way it is. I may later switch to the new btrfs, (sp?), but that may
58 be a while.
59
60 Dale
61