From: n952162 <n952162@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] AMDGPU: computer won't shut down [UPDATE]
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 16:28:15
1 On 2020-06-10 13:48, n952162 wrote:
2 > On 2020-06-09 23:53, n952162 wrote:
3 >> I posted about this problem perhaps a year ago - when running with
4 >> AMDGPU, my system won't turn off, I have to hold the power button down
5 >> for a long time, forcing it down.
6 >>
7 >> At that time, various people commented. but AMDGPU didn't work at all
8 >> for me in the end, didn't talk to my HDMI display.
9 >>
10 >> I gave up on it.
11 >>
12 >> Thanks to all the great help here, I finally got my system properly
13 >> updated and AMDGPU working, and it  finally talks to my HDMI display.
14 >> But, it still doesn't shut down.
15 >>
16 >> Is it a bug?  Is my system still not right?  Is there something I have
17 >> to do yet?
21 > The following assignment is on the linux line when booting in grub:
22 >
23 > amdgpu.dc=1
24 >
25 > When I make that 0, the system shuts down properly when the power button
26 > is pressed.
27 >
28 > When it's 1, the system hangs after blank screen  when that button is
29 > pressed.
34 I found this in the AMDGPU webpage:
35
36 /AMDGPU with Display Core was first implemented for VEGA10 (GCN5.0)
37 and RAVEN (with DCN 1.0) GPUs/APUs. Kernels before version 4.17 have
38 (experimental) DC support for older cards (GCN1.1 and newer) via
39 command line option /amdgpu.dc=1/, which may work better than the
40 older radeon kernel module. Likewise, if DC needs to be disabled for
41 any particular reason, option /amdgpu.dc=0/can be used on the kernel
42 command line.
43 /
44
45 It's not clear to me if  DC serves a function in kernels >= 4.17 or why
46 it's installed as default by grub ...
47
48 I don't see anything similar in the new kernel parameters I posted to
49 this topic, but I do find this in my .config file:
50
51 #
52 # Display Engine Configuration
53 #
54 CONFIG_DRM_AMD_DC=y
55 CONFIG_DRM_AMD_DC_DCN1_0=y
56 # CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL_DC is not set
57
58 Was this left over from an earlier configuration and not properly
59 cleaned out, or is it necessary, for some reason?
60
61 Can someone explain how the amdgpu.dc=1 parameter gets passed to grub?
62
63 Thanks in advance.
64 //