From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox 3
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 11:56:51
1 On Tue, 27 May 2008 20:12:42 +0900, Mike Mazur wrote:
2
3 > When I want to try software that requires packages to be unmasked, I
4 > unmask only the specific versions required. In my
5 > /etc/portage/package.keywords file I then have entries like this:
6 >
7 > =media-plugins/gst-plugins-opengl-0.10.5 ~x86
8 > =net-analyzer/ntop-3.2-r3 ~x86
9 > # etc...
10
11 It's better to use ~cat/pkg-verion instead of =. Testing ebuilds are, by
12 their nature, potentially buggy, and updated more often than those in
13 stable. By using =, you guarantee that you get the first, most
14 bug-prone, release, and mask out any ebuild updates. ~ means you stick
15 with that version, until a later hits stable, but allow ebuild updates
16 and security patches.
17
18 > I also comment the /etc/portage/package.keywords file which makes it
19 > easier to go back and remove all the relevant packages once I'm done
20 > playing with a keyworded package.
21
22 You can also use files within the /etc/portage/package.keywords
23 directory, which makes it easy to separate things, and remove all the
24 entries needed for a particular package in one go.
28 Neil Bothwick
29
30 God said, "div D = rho, div B = 0, curl E = - @B/@t, curl H = J + @D/@t,"
31 and there was light.