From: Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] bloated by gcc
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 18:26:26
1 On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 7:03 PM, Stroller
2 <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >
4 > On Mon, 29 September 2014, at 5:35 pm, Daniel Troeder <daniel@×××××××××.com> wrote:
5 >> …
6 >> IMO you shouldn't compare 4.8.x with 4.9.x.
7 >
8 > Definitely this.
9 >
10 > OP should be doing everything he can to match the environment on both systems.
11 >
12 > This means matching versions of gcc, glibc and of all their libraries and other dependencies. And of the libraries and dependencies for the program he's attempting to compile.
13
14 Since the problem is the same with dietlibc, glibc is not causing the
15 discrepancy. And my program doesn't use any other library besides the
16 C standard lib (glibc/dietlibc) and linux system calls.
17
18 Emerging gcc 4.9.1 now... I'll try compiling my program against
19 dietlibc, since replacing glibc seems scary.
22 > Note that gcc has a "vanilla" USE flag - I think it's disabled by default.
23
24 Sorry, should have mentioned that. I had the default flags. I just
25 tried "vanilla" in case some patch would be causing the problem. No
26 difference. (Same applies to the "nopie" flag.)
27 >
28 Thanks,
29
30 Jorge