From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: emerge advises upgrade profile
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 17:01:14
1 On Wednesday 28 October 2009 18:52:33 Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
3 > >> Alan, what does it get you? In fact what does `developer' buy you?
4 > >
5 > > x86/10.0 gives you a baseline for that release
6 > > x86/10.0/desktop|developer|server give you a profile more suited
7 > > (tweaked) for that kind of usage.
8 >
9 > [...]
10 >
11 > Nice.. thanks
12 > I see I already have most of use flags in the desktop, and already
13 > have apache and mysql too.. so looks like I'm good to go but for
14 > changing the symlink.
15
16 A useful side-effect showed up with profiles in the last few days.
17 Openoffice.org integration with KDE is broken - sometimes it doesn't build,
18 sometimes it doesn't run and as the devs try out new patches it actually
19 sometimes works :-)
20
21 As a user, you want to be insulated from this nonsense of stuff breaking
22 mysteriously. So appropriate masks go into profiles, where you simply cannot
23 enable a certain USE flag for a specific package if it will not work.
24
25 This particular case went into base/ so every profile benefited. But if it
26 affected just say Intel, then the current x86 and amd64 profiles desktop could
27 have been updated and you would benefit. Using an ultra-minimal (or not
28 supported anymore) profile, you wouldn't.
31 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com