From: "Jc García" <jyo.garcia@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to poweroff the system from user?
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 20:36:45
1 2015-03-22 4:30 GMT-06:00 Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>:
2 > On Saturday 21 March 2015 16:20:17 Jc García wrote:
3 >> > Interesting. But as I said ealier, I can reboot the system when I am a
4 >> > user by Ctrl+Alt+Delete. The user can reboot the system, but can't shut
5 >> > down? Strange
6 >> It's not strange, `man 2 reboot`. It's a defined behavior.
7 >
8 > I'm with German here. Being designed that way doesn't stop it being strange.
11 I see it as a last resource available for rebooting under any
12 circumstances( Similar to what you can do with Sysrq).
15 > Consider: I'm an ordinary user sitting at a terminal. I'm not allowed to
16 > halt the machine, but I am allowed to reboot it into perhaps some quite
17 > other configuration. Or I can keep rebooting it over and again, effectively
18 > preventing the machine from doing its job. How does that make sense?
21 It doesn't and that's why it's configurable, if you are in a high
22 security requiring environment, you disable it.