From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to poweroff the system from user?
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 10:30:48
1 On Saturday 21 March 2015 16:20:17 Jc García wrote:
2 > > Interesting. But as I said ealier, I can reboot the system when I am a
3 > > user by Ctrl+Alt+Delete. The user can reboot the system, but can't shut
4 > > down? Strange
5 > It's not strange, `man 2 reboot`. It's a defined behavior.
6
7 I'm with German here. Being designed that way doesn't stop it being strange.
8
9 Consider: I'm an ordinary user sitting at a terminal. I'm not allowed to
10 halt the machine, but I am allowed to reboot it into perhaps some quite
11 other configuration. Or I can keep rebooting it over and again, effectively
12 preventing the machine from doing its job. How does that make sense?
15 Rgds
16 Peter.