From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How to poweroff the system from user?
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 11:05:02
1 On 22/03/15 12:30, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Saturday 21 March 2015 16:20:17 Jc García wrote:
3 >>> Interesting. But as I said ealier, I can reboot the system when I am a
4 >>> user by Ctrl+Alt+Delete. The user can reboot the system, but can't shut
5 >>> down? Strange
6 >> It's not strange, `man 2 reboot`. It's a defined behavior.
7 >
8 > I'm with German here. Being designed that way doesn't stop it being strange.
9 >
10 > Consider: I'm an ordinary user sitting at a terminal. I'm not allowed to
11 > halt the machine, but I am allowed to reboot it into perhaps some quite
12 > other configuration. Or I can keep rebooting it over and again, effectively
13 > preventing the machine from doing its job. How does that make sense?
14
15 The thinking is that you can unplug the machine, or press the hardware
16 reset or power button, or flip the PSU switch...
17
18 Preventing a ctrl+alt+del reboot does not add anything to security.
19 Security doesn't really apply to users with physical access to the machine.
20
21 However, this is just a default. You can easily disable reboot on
22 ctrl+alt+del by editing /etc/inittab and commenting-out this line:
23
24 ca:12345:ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -r now
25
26 Note though, that is someone wants to reboot, and ctrl+alt+del doesn't
27 work, pressing the reset button is far worse, since there's no clean
28 shutdown performed (unmounting filesystems after flushing caches, etc.)
29 Because of that, the default of allowing ctrl+alt+del for local users
30 makes more sense than disabling it.