From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How to poweroff the system from user?
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 11:28:02
1 On Sunday 22 March 2015 13:04:44 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 22/03/15 12:30, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > On Saturday 21 March 2015 16:20:17 Jc García wrote:
4 > >>> Interesting. But as I said ealier, I can reboot the system when I am a
5 > >>> user by Ctrl+Alt+Delete. The user can reboot the system, but can't
6 > >>> shut
7 > >>> down? Strange
8 > >>
9 > >> It's not strange, `man 2 reboot`. It's a defined behavior.
10 > >
11 > > I'm with German here. Being designed that way doesn't stop it being
12 > > strange.
13 > >
14 > > Consider: I'm an ordinary user sitting at a terminal. I'm not allowed to
15 > > halt the machine, but I am allowed to reboot it into perhaps some quite
16 > > other configuration. Or I can keep rebooting it over and again,
17 > > effectively preventing the machine from doing its job. How does that
18 > > make sense?
19 > The thinking is that you can unplug the machine, or press the hardware
20 > reset or power button, or flip the PSU switch...
21 >
22 > Preventing a ctrl+alt+del reboot does not add anything to security.
23 > Security doesn't really apply to users with physical access to the
24 > machine.
25
26 Indeed, as witness many successful hijacks of supposedly secure systems.
27
28 > However, this is just a default. You can easily disable reboot on
29 > ctrl+alt+del by editing /etc/inittab and commenting-out this line:
30 >
31 > ca:12345:ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -r now
32
33 All good sense.
34
35 > Note though, that is someone wants to reboot, and ctrl+alt+del doesn't
36 > work, pressing the reset button is far worse, since there's no clean
37 > shutdown performed (unmounting filesystems after flushing caches, etc.)
38 > Because of that, the default of allowing ctrl+alt+del for local users
39 > makes more sense than disabling it.
40
41 And there's no arguing with that! :_)
44 Rgds
45 Peter.