From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Disabling net.ath0 backgrounding
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 17:08:25
1 > > How can I keep net.ath0 from "backgrounding" at boot?
2 >
3 > This is ifplugd or netplug waiting until link is established before
4 > configuring the device. They are also responsible for bring the device up
5 > and down is response to link failure and reestablishment. Normally, this
6 > is a desired behavior because it, for example, only brings up your
7 > laptop's wired connection if it is actually plugged in and automatically
8 > brings it down when you unplug.
9 >
10 > If you want to disable one or the other for a particular device, you can
11 > add !netplug or !ifplugd to the modules list of that interface
12 > (see /etc/conf.d/net.example for details). You can also disable link
13 > detection entirely by adding !plug to the modules list of that interface.
14 >
15 > An alternative that may be closer to what you want, is to let
16 > ifplugd/netplug wait for some period of time before backgrounding. This
17 > still allows the interface to be started and stopped in response to link
18 > status, but when explicitly started, it will perform configuration in the
19 > foreground if link is detecting before timeout. To establish such a
20 > timeout add:plug_timeout="<seconds>" to your network configuration
21
22 I tried the following in /etc/conf.d/net :
23
24 modules_ath0=( "!plug" )
25
26 but it still goes into "backgrounding". When ath0 won't connect to
27 the wireless network I need to be able to see more about what is
28 happening when it's trying to connect. Is that still possible?
29
30 - Grant
31 --
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list