From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is my hard drive sick?
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 13:37:13
1 On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 03:51 -0600, Dale wrote:
2 > b.n. wrote:
3 > > Dale ha scritto:
4 > >
5 > > > Hi,
6 > > >
7 > > > I noticed this in my log and wondered what others may think.
8 > > >
9 > >
10 > > Thanks for your post! Thanks to you I just noticed that I never added
11 > > smartd to my default profile... so I did yesterday.
12 > >
13 > > I found your exact same symptoms, on a SATA hard disk. I frankly have
14 > > troubles in understanding the smartctl outputs (googled of course, but
15 > > I'm confused about the meaning). What should I check for SMART symptoms
16 > > of failure? Even in this thread, I didn't understand if those
17 > > pre-failure symptoms are to take seriously or not.
18 > >
19 > > m.
23 > Well, the best thing to do is to post any error messages you have
24 > here. I googled mine too but still was not sure what to make of the
25 > info I was getting. It sounded bad so I posted them here. There are
26 > some serious hardware gurus here and I was sure someone that had ran
27 > into this before would clarify what was going on for me.
28 >
30 >
31 > Dale
32 >
33 I recommend reading Google's analysis of SMART and HDD failures:
34 http://labs.google.com/papers/disk_failures.pdf