From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New mobo change
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 07:50:11
1 Pandu Poluan wrote:
4 > On Oct 15, 2013 10:51 AM, "Dale" <rdalek1967@×××××.com
5 > <mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com>> wrote:
6 > >
7 > > Howdy,
8 > >
9 > > I ordered the new mobo as much as I needed to wait. The mobo is the
10 > > same brand but a different chipset and a couple other things are
11 > > different. I have already built a kernel for those changes. I plan to
12 > > put everything on the old mobo on the new mobo. That includes the CPU.
13 > > I'm pretty sure this will not be needed but want to ask to be sure. Do
14 > > I need to do a emerge -e world or should it "just work" like it is?
15 > > Since the CPU is going to be the exact same CPU, I'm thinking it is not
16 > > needed. I do have march=native set in make.conf.
17 > >
18 > > Thoughts? Thanks.
21 > Personally, I think all you need to do is to ensure that the kernel
22 > has all the drivers it needs to speak to the new mobo. Other members
23 > of the @world set relies on the drivers in the kernel.
24 >
25 > But I don't use any GUI or audio; if you're using a GUI and/or audio,
26 > you might also have to re-emerge the relevant bits.
27 >
28 > BSTS: just re-emerge @world :-)
29 >
30 > Rgds,
31 > --
34 It uses the same audio chip so that should be OK but that is something
35 that I hadn't thought of tho. I have a seperate video card which will
36 be moving over as well. So that *should* work. We hope.
37
38 I'm hoping this will be as painless as I hope it will be. I just got to
39 remember how to hook the drivers up. Especially the first one. I
40 certainly want sda to be correct. ;-)
41
42 Thanks. You thought of something I hadn't thought of.
43
44 Dale
45
49 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!