From: Jorge Morais <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] question about portage capabilities
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 02:39:31
1 On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 21:33:18 -0400
2 Denis <denis.che@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Hello all,
5 >
6 > I am using a package called Rasmol, which is used for visualization of
7 > molecular structures. This software uses a certain table for atomic
8 > sizes, and I need to change some values in that table - it is stored
9 > in a header file within Rasmol source code. There is an ebuild for
10 > Rasmol, and it works fine - but what I'm wondering is how I can tell
11 > portage to STOP once it unpacks Rasmol in the temporary work directory
12 > - so I can tweak some things in the source code - and then resume the
13 > build, using what's already in the work directory. Looking at a
14 > manpage for emerge, I didn't immediately get any creative ideas, but
15 > might someone offer some advice for how to accomplish this?
16
17 man ebuild.
18
19 I assume you are talking of sci-chemistry/rasmol.
20 Then you can accomplish your hack with
21 ebuild /usr/portage/sci-chemistry/rasmol/rasmol-2.7.2.1.1-r1.ebuild unpack
22 <tweak>
23 ebuild /usr/portage/sci-chemistry/rasmol/rasmol-2.7.2.1.1-r1.ebuild install
24
25 But I am not sure this is a clean way to achieve your goal.
26 The standard way would be to write a patch, and modify the ebuild
27 to apply your patch. Alternatively, you can apply the patch to the distfile,
28 and modify the ebuild to use the new distfile.
29
30 Do you know how to write a patch?
31
32 Note: if you are going to modify your ebuild, it is a good idea to
33 put it in an overlay
34 It would be something like this
35 mkdir --parents /usr/local/denisoverlay/sci-chemistry/rasmol
36 cp -rv /usr/portage/sci-chemistry/rasmol/* /usr/local/denisoverlay/sci-chemistry/rasmol/
37 tweak files in /usr/portage/sci-chemistry/rasmol to your heart's content.
38 Add "/usr/local/denisoverlay" to the variable PORTDIR_OVERLAY in /etc/make.conf
39 For example:
40
41 PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/denisoverlay"
44 Software is like sex: it is better when it is free. --Linus Torvalds