From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] python 3.1 safe as default python?
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 16:26:33
1 On Sun, 2 Aug 2009 11:17:22 -0400, Doug Hunley wrote:
2
3 > I noticed that my 'emerge world' wants to replace python 2.6.2 with
4 > python 3.1 (I run ~x86). Is it safe to do so or will portage (and
5 > everything else) freak out? If it is, in fact, safe are there any
6 > extra (special) steps needed to ensure continued operation of things?
7
8 t does not replace python 2.6, it installs in a separate slot. Python 2.6
9 remains the default as many modules don't yet work with 3.
10
11 This is given in the elog message, but of course you have to be
12 brave/foolish enough to emerge it to see that. So yes, it is safe to
13 allow python 3.1 to install.
17 Neil Bothwick
18
19 I thought I saw the light at the end of the tunnel...
20 but it was just some sod with a torch bringing me more work!