From: Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Half error message on attempting to access You Tube from Firefox
Date: Tue, 05 May 2015 16:58:51
1 On Tuesday, April 28, 2015 3:27:32 PM »Q« wrote:
2 > On Sun, 26 Apr 2015 18:58:55 -0400
3 > Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > > Do you have the "OpenH264 Video Codec provided by Cisco Systems"
6 > > firefox add-on installed (I think it comes with firefox). I have it
7 > > but I still don't have H.264 checked on that page and I can't play
8 > > some H.264 videos like this one
9 > > https://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-hololens/en-us. If you have it,
10 > > do you mind disabling it to check if that's where you're getting
11 > > H.264 support from?
12 >
13 > I don't understand all the details -- not by a long stretch -- but
14 > AIUI, the Cisco thing makes it possible to use H.264 for real-time
15 > video chat, called WebRTC by the W3C and "Firefox Hello" by Mozilla.
16 >
17 > Judging by Alan's USE flags, it's not available for Fx 31.x. In later
18 > versions gmp-autoupdate controls it -- with that flag set, Firefox
19 > will silently download the thing and updates to it from Cisco. Mozilla
20 > won't bundle it because it's patent-encumbered. It comes from Cisco as
21 > a binary.
22
23 Thanks, I rebuilt firefox with gstreamer support today and now I can play H.264
24 video. I still can't play quicktime videos from apple's site. I think there's
25 a gstreamer plugin for this but I don't know what gentoo package to install.
28 Fernando Rodriguez