From: Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Using KDE apps in a non KDE environment
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 10:56:39
1 On 10/03/2015 06:41 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 1:30 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 02/10/2015 05:31, Andrew Lowe wrote:
4 >>> Hi all,
5 >>> I'm getting disillusioned with the direction KDE is taking, with
6 >>> respect to forcing users to use things they don't want to. The semantic
7 >>> desktop, or whatever they are now calling bits and pieces of it, is one
8 >>> thing that comes immediately to mind.
9 >>>
10 >>> Anyway, I've decided to move on and am thinking of going to lxqt. The
11 >>> problem is that I'm used to several KDE apps, kwooty, kwrite and a few
12 >>> more. Is it possible to run something such as lxqt and then emerge in
13 >>> kde apps where it will bring in just a few kde libraries, which I can
14 >>> live with, but not the whole desktop environment?
15 >>
16 >> Yes. Remove all of KDE then emerge back in the apps you want, they have
17 >> deps on the libs they need. Whatever they pull in is required.
18 >
19 > It is easier than that.
20 >
21 > Edit your /var/lib/portage/world
22 > Remove anything kde-related you're not explicitly interested in, such
23 > as kde-meta
24 > Add anything you are explicitly interested in, such as kwooty or kwrite
25 > Add kde-apps/kdebase-runtime-meta
26 >
27 > Then run emerge --depclean and watch all the other stuff go away.
28 >
29 > No need to purge yourself of stuff like kdelibs that takes a long time
30 > to rebuild just to add it back. Let the dependency manager help you
31 > out for a change. :)
32 >
33 > I'm not even certain you need to explicitly add kdebase-runtime-meta -
34 > other packages might pull that in on their own but I'm not certain of
35 > that. Run a --depclean -p first and see what portage wants to get rid
36 > of before going that route. Software may-or-may not work correctly
37 > without that virtual installed and your bugs will be closed as
38 > invalid. That virtual is intended to be a somewhat-minimalist one for
39 > situations like yours, but kde applications still will tend to pull a
40 > lot of stuff in.
43 Closing my original question, I followed Alan's advice, fiddled the
44 world file, and whilst not exactly "hey presto", a few emerge's, some
45 hand manipulation of a few files and eventually it worked.
46
47 It's a bit of a jump, I'd become quite used to Dolphin and whilst
48 pcmanfm likes to think of itself as a dolphin replacement, it's a long
49 long way from being so. There is no autohide of the task bar, no
50 slideshow wallpaper option, I still can't work out automounting of usb's
51 and plenty more to keep you on your toes.
52
53 So thanks for all of your suggestions.
54
55 Andrew