From: Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Using KDE apps in a non KDE environment
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 10:58:33
1 Whoops, big mistake on my part. I misread the threading of the original
2 email and credited the idea to Alan Mc Kinnon. The credit should go to
3 Rich Freeman.
4
5 Sorry Rich,
6
7 Andrew
10 On 10/10/2015 06:56 PM, Andrew Lowe wrote:
11 > On 10/03/2015 06:41 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
12 >> On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 1:30 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
13 >>> On 02/10/2015 05:31, Andrew Lowe wrote:
14 >>>> Hi all,
15 >>>> I'm getting disillusioned with the direction KDE is taking, with
16 >>>> respect to forcing users to use things they don't want to. The semantic
17 >>>> desktop, or whatever they are now calling bits and pieces of it, is one
18 >>>> thing that comes immediately to mind.
19 >>>>
20 >>>> Anyway, I've decided to move on and am thinking of going to lxqt. The
21 >>>> problem is that I'm used to several KDE apps, kwooty, kwrite and a few
22 >>>> more. Is it possible to run something such as lxqt and then emerge in
23 >>>> kde apps where it will bring in just a few kde libraries, which I can
24 >>>> live with, but not the whole desktop environment?
25 >>>
26 >>> Yes. Remove all of KDE then emerge back in the apps you want, they have
27 >>> deps on the libs they need. Whatever they pull in is required.
28 >>
29 >> It is easier than that.
30 >>
31 >> Edit your /var/lib/portage/world
32 >> Remove anything kde-related you're not explicitly interested in, such
33 >> as kde-meta
34 >> Add anything you are explicitly interested in, such as kwooty or kwrite
35 >> Add kde-apps/kdebase-runtime-meta
36 >>
37 >> Then run emerge --depclean and watch all the other stuff go away.
38 >>
39 >> No need to purge yourself of stuff like kdelibs that takes a long time
40 >> to rebuild just to add it back. Let the dependency manager help you
41 >> out for a change. :)
42 >>
43 >> I'm not even certain you need to explicitly add kdebase-runtime-meta -
44 >> other packages might pull that in on their own but I'm not certain of
45 >> that. Run a --depclean -p first and see what portage wants to get rid
46 >> of before going that route. Software may-or-may not work correctly
47 >> without that virtual installed and your bugs will be closed as
48 >> invalid. That virtual is intended to be a somewhat-minimalist one for
49 >> situations like yours, but kde applications still will tend to pull a
50 >> lot of stuff in.
53 > Closing my original question, I followed Alan's advice, fiddled the
54 > world file, and whilst not exactly "hey presto", a few emerge's, some
55 > hand manipulation of a few files and eventually it worked.
56 >
57 > It's a bit of a jump, I'd become quite used to Dolphin and whilst
58 > pcmanfm likes to think of itself as a dolphin replacement, it's a long
59 > long way from being so. There is no autohide of the task bar, no
60 > slideshow wallpaper option, I still can't work out automounting of usb's
61 > and plenty more to keep you on your toes.
62 >
63 > So thanks for all of your suggestions.
64 >
65 > Andrew