From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Thunderbird 78
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2020 22:42:34
1 On 8/20/20 1:20 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Thu, 20 Aug 2020 13:06:39 -0400, james wrote:
3 >
4 >> Look at what I just received:
5 >>
6 >> From <executivemailcom@×××××.com>
7 >> "Dear User
8 >>
9 >> Your Verizon✔ Version is outdated and has expired in the database as
10 >> you know we are moving our Email Platform to AOl Mail.
11 >>
12 >> Failure to Upgrade to the newest Verizon✔ AOL Version 12.9 will result
13 >> in inefficient usage of mailbox and might result to shutdown
14 >>
15 >> UPDATE HERE to Visit your login page Log-in to restore.
16 >>
17 >> Thanks
18 >> Verizon✔ My Account
19 >> Verizon✔ © 2020 All Right reserved "
20 >
21 > That looks like a phishing mail to me.
22
23 OK. How do I verify or ferret out this to know.
24
25 Thunderbird on gentoo is vulnerable?
26
27 I've charted my own pathway, via R.P.4 boards and static IP addresses.
28 That way, I can add whatever I want, test, and just run very few codes
29 on those arm8 boards.... Sure, this has been on my todo list, as I
30 prepare to live/work out of a RV. Eventually, I'll add a satellite link,
31 when all else fails, without large attached files. I'm keeping the home,
32 where the hub/static-IPs will connect, but I can be home or mobile,
33 controlling my own email servers. I've just groan very tired of someone
34 else managing and making decisions on MY email. I've received too many
35 private emails from folks, with the same sentiment.
36
37 If what I do is well documented, then a plethora of folks can have
38 custom setups, in a well documented fashion. Mine is the hard case with
39 the eventual address of daily mobility, cellular and satellite comms.
40
41 Migration to R.P.4 has been on my goals list too, for a while.
42
43 MY goal, via gentoo, is to fix and document this once and for ALL. Your
44 expertise and the rest of the band of Gentoo folks are deeply
45 appreciated in this effort. This action has been brewing for a few
46 years. Email is critical for me, and I do not want vendors dictating its
47 future for me. Enough is Enough.
50 James