From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: yubikey
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 18:08:52
1 Stefan G. Weichinger <lists <at> xunil.at> writes:
4 > Anyone using that (with gentoo) ?
5 > Experience? I consider getting one to test and use it ..
6
7 > Stefan
8
9 I do not know where to start, so I just try to simplify things
10 Near Field Communications, are a very bad idea, if you care
11 about security. (ybikey) is based on NFC. In fact, it is compatible
12 with RFID. So, you should know that millions of locations
13 have RFID loops established, so that if you pass through the loop,
14 folks can "OWN" your RFID (NFC) device information. The semiconductor
15 companies have all established "back doors" into their hardware
16 offering, for various reasons. There is a matrix of what owners
17 of the loop antennae installations can gain access to depending
18 on who they are, how much they pay, and which "nation states"
19 they "play ball" with.
22 Here in Floirda the most infamous RF loop antennaes are installed
23 on the (toll) roadways:
24
25 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SunPass
26
27 http://cybersecurity.mit.edu/tag/near-field-communication/
28
29 Many tables found in restuarants have RF* loop antennaes built into
30 the table, and folks purchasing these tables are not even aware
31 of them. They are difficult to detect.
34 Digital information gathering is a few decades old.
35 Signal Intercept (RF*) is over 60 years old and very, very
36 successful. Most of that technology is clasified. There are many satelittes
37 capable of picking up RFID signals, generated terrestrially, above the
38 atmosphere.
41 Using RF* to secure anything is like pulling down your panties
42 at a Frat party full of horney teenage males. It's not a question
43 of if, but what you are going to "exchange energies with" !
44
45 However that said, there are passive RF back doors built into most
46 devices that cost over $20.00 usd now adays; so I guess it
47 does not really even matter ?
48
49 http://www.mouser.com/applications/rf_energy_harvesting/
50