From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Living in NGL: was: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 01:46:57
1 On 19/12/22 21:30, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Dec 19, 2022 at 7:51 AM Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >> On 19/12/2022 12:00, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >>> On Mon, Dec 19, 2022 at 12:11 AM Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>> If I like these Raspberry things, may make a media box out of one. I'd
6 >>>> like to have a remote tho. 😉
7 >>> So, I've done that. Honestly, these days a Roku is probably the
8 >>> better option, or something like a Google Chromecast or the 47 other
9 >>> variations on this them.
10 >> Where do you put that 2TB drive on your Roku or Chromecast?
11 >>
12 >> I'm thinking of building a media server, not to drive the TV, but to
13 >> record and store. I thought that was what a media server was!
14 > So, he said "media box," which I assumed meant the client that
15 > attaches to the TV. There are some canned solutions for media servers
16 > - I think the NVidia Shield can run Plex server for example. However,
17 > in general server-side I'd go amd64.
18 >
19 > My current solution is:
20 > 1. Moosefs for storage: amd64 container for the master, and ARM SBCs
21 > for the chunkservers which host all the USB3 hard drives. With a
22 > modest number of them performance is very good, though certainly not
23 > as good as Ceph or local storage. (I do have moosefs in my overlay -
24 > might try to get that into the main repo when I get a chance.)
25 > 2. Plex server in a container on amd64 (looking to migrate this to k8s
26 > over the holiday).
27 > 3. Rokus or TV apps for the clients.
28
29 Very similar to what I have (intel/arm for moosefs) - I am effectively
30 using moosefs as a distributed NAS (fuse mount onto whatever system(s) I
31 am using) with built in data protection and redundancy.  LVM and similar
32 pooling is discouraged as it defeats some of the built in data
33 protection. To increase storage, just add a disk, format, add to the
34 config and reload - it automatically redistributes the data.  Similarly,
35 you can add/remove storage or whole storage systems while live with no
36 risk to your data (within limits!!!) With LVM, if a drive fails, you are
37 SOL and offline until you can recover and restore the data.  On a recent
38 holiday, an SD card failed and a moosefs arm SBC in AU went offline -
39 discovered the next morning when doing status checks from a ship in the
40 Mediterranean(!) - it had already backfilled and protection was back at
41 normal, moosefs was just missing 2Tb of storage space.  5 weeks later
42 when I got home, I replaced the SD card, rebooted and readded the system
43 all with no risk to the data.
44
45 Dale, I was where you are about 10 or so years ago and was forced to
46 move on when that design hit its limits - forget LVM etc, these days
47 there are lots of better ways to do what you want with less risk to your
48 data.  Another factor is power - moosefs is currently 1 intel and 7 arm
49 SBC's that use 90-110w (most of which is due to using ancient WD and
50 Seagate hard drives) - where as my intel desktop is 90w when idle, or
51 over 300 w when compiling etc. so its off unless its being used. Power
52 is important to me as its expensive!!
53
54 BillK