From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Living in NGL: was: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 13:30:33
1 On Mon, Dec 19, 2022 at 7:51 AM Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 19/12/2022 12:00, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > > On Mon, Dec 19, 2022 at 12:11 AM Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > >> If I like these Raspberry things, may make a media box out of one. I'd
6 > >> like to have a remote tho. 😉
7 >
8 > > So, I've done that. Honestly, these days a Roku is probably the
9 > > better option, or something like a Google Chromecast or the 47 other
10 > > variations on this them.
11 >
12 > Where do you put that 2TB drive on your Roku or Chromecast?
13 >
14 > I'm thinking of building a media server, not to drive the TV, but to
15 > record and store. I thought that was what a media server was!
16
17 So, he said "media box," which I assumed meant the client that
18 attaches to the TV. There are some canned solutions for media servers
19 - I think the NVidia Shield can run Plex server for example. However,
20 in general server-side I'd go amd64.
21
22 My current solution is:
23 1. Moosefs for storage: amd64 container for the master, and ARM SBCs
24 for the chunkservers which host all the USB3 hard drives. With a
25 modest number of them performance is very good, though certainly not
26 as good as Ceph or local storage. (I do have moosefs in my overlay -
27 might try to get that into the main repo when I get a chance.)
28 2. Plex server in a container on amd64 (looking to migrate this to k8s
29 over the holiday).
30 3. Rokus or TV apps for the clients.
33 Rich