From: Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gigabyte and controlling fans
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 14:21:52
1 On 12/12/2010 06:34 PM, Dale wrote:
2 > Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 >> On Sunday 12 December 2010 05:20:27 Dale wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> That comes from lm-sensors. Hmmm. Since I have my stuff built into the
6 >>> kernel, can I still use that or would they clash somehow?
7 >>>
8 >>> Also, this is a desktop not a laptop just in case it matters.
9 >>>
10 >>> Dale
11 >>>
12 >>> :-) :-)
13 >>>
14 >> a) building the sensor stuff into the kernel is stupid
15 >> b) yes
19 > Why is it stupid? I been using Linux for years and have no modules
20 > except for nvidia and don't think I ever have either. What difference
21 > does it make if it is a module or built in?
22
23 I think, Dale, that the theory is that fewer things in the kernel
24 provide for fewer chances for it to go awry. However, as we know, the
25 difference between theory and practice is that in theory, theory and
26 practice are the same, but in practice, they're not.