From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user][ot] mail links as footnotes
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 10:51:28
1 Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto wrote:
2 > In general, html email is mostly a "solution" in search of a problem,
3 > and it ends up causing trouble and being overall worse than the
4 > simple, efficient, easy, working, universally adopted technology that
5 > preceded it. Besides all the problems already listed in this
6 > discussion, html email facilitates malware, web bugs, phishing, spam,
7 > and incompatibility (besides the people who use HTML-incapable email
8 > clients, there are email clients that don't render HTML email well (it
9 > is more common then you think), not to mention that the HTML email
10 > itself is often broken).
11 >
12 > And of the HTML emails, a tiny minority actually make something useful
13 > of HTML, while the rest is either deliberately harmful or has a lot of
14 > "fancy" formating that looks it was created by a teenager. Besides
15 > looking horrible, they are often harder to read.
16 >
17 > As for the guy who suggested a form of "sanitized HTML for email",
18 > maybe you would like
19 > "enriched text"
20 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enriched_text
24 Someone who put it better than I could. I use HTML elsewhere but out of
25 respect for the list and those who use it, I use text only, try not to
26 send anything huge and put links in a way that should work for
27 everybody. Maybe I am just a pushover? It's not like I own the list or
28 anything either. :/
29
30 Dale
31