From: Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de (Joerg Schilling)
To: michaelkintzios@×××××.com, gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Back up a server in real-time
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 23:04:19
1 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Monday 17 November 2008, Joerg Schilling wrote:
4 > > William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> wrote:
5 > > > dirvish is in portage.
6 > > >
7 > > > tar/rsync/cp are not really backups but manual copies. If you want true
8 > > > backup you need scripts to handle the extra functionality for things
9 > > > like versioning, archive management and the all important restore.
10 > >
11 > > star has everything you need for backups and it is based on the standard
12 > > archive format.
13 >
14 > Thanks Joerg, I have just had a quick look at star. Would you know if there
15 > is a LiveCD that has star - or will I be able to restore a fs from an archive
16 > created with star, but using tar to do it as it comes in e.g. Knoppix?
17
18 Did you check grml?
19
20 Jörg