From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Beta test Gentoo with mdev instead of udev; version 3
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2012 02:41:01
1 Pandu Poluan wrote:
4 > On Jan 6, 2012 8:50 AM, "Dale" <rdalek1967@×××××.com
5 > <mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com>> wrote:
6 > >
7 > > Alan McKinnon wrote:
8 > >>
9 > >> I see that as a liability not a feature. Our routers have very
10 > clear naming conventions for interfaces and they are exactly how Cisco
11 > enumerates them and no other way. It's a firing offense to dick with
12 > them and dream up useless "descriptive names". Mind you, these for the
13 > most part are big iron with several 1000 interfaces each and 100+
14 > support personnel working on them. But even the on-site routers and
15 > firewalls at customer premises have the same rule. I assume we are
16 > talking about kit that routes properly (whether a Unix or something
17 > else is not relevant) and not some joke system. As for NICs that do
18 > not come up at boot time in a consistent order, if any piece of
19 > hardware in our DC did that it would be sent right back to the vendor
20 > labeled as a piece of shit with a demand for a refund. FFS, if my boss
21 > shells out 3 months wages for some iron and it can't even get
22 > something that basic correct, I start to wonder what else might be
23 > dodgy. There is ZERO excuse for a system that cannot deterministically
24 > enumerate it's fixed devices at boot time.
27 > > I have a couple desktop rigs. I had a card that would sometimes not
28 > do right and change the order of my cards numbering. Since it was
29 > earlier than the card that hooked to my modem, it would mess up my
30 > connection to the internet. The card was eth0 and I had internet
31 > coming through on eth2. That rig now has two nics. The defective nic
32 > was removed. It has a new address called /dev/dump.
33 > >
34 > > It may be a desktop rig but I like them being recognized the same
35 > each time I reboot. Although, I forgot about being able to give them
36 > names. < scratches chin > Nah, I'll leave well enough alone. It's
37 > working and we don't mess with what is working, except for Fedora
38 > devs. lol
41 > mdev is capable of renaming devices, you know ;-)
42 >
43 > https://svn.mcs.anl.gov/repos/ZeptoOS/trunk/BGP/packages/busybox/src/docs/mdev.txt
44 >
45 > Rgds,
48 udev does too. I'm just used to et0, eth1 etc. If I renamed them, I'd
49 forget the names anyway. Then I would have to /etc/init.d/<tab tab>
50 then slap forehead. lol
51
52 Right now, I only use one nic on each rig. I got a Linksys router now.
53 I used to use my main rig as a router so it had three nics not counting
54 the built in which I didn't use and was disabled in the BIOS.
55
56 Dale
57
61 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!
62
63 Miss the compile output? Hint:
64 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"