From: Justin Krejci <jus@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge starts slowly
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 03:20:06
1 On Thursday 15 December 2005 03:49 am, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 00:14:13 -0600, Justin Krejci wrote:
3 > > When I run "emerge -s whatever" or "emerge sync" or any emerge command
4 > > apparently, it usually takes about 1 second to start the command on the
5 > > AMD64 system whereas on the Athlon-XP system it usually takes about
6 > > 10-30 seconds fore the command to start.
7 >
8 > Is that just the first time you run a portage command? I see the same on
9 > my AMD64, it can take up to 30 seconds to run emerge --info, but only
10 > around a second to run it again.
11 >
12 > It's clearly something to do with loading the various Python libraries,
13 > classes or modules, but I haven't been able to pin down why it takes so
14 > long.
15
16 Yes, the second run and subsequent runs for a period of time all seem to be
17 fairly quick, but I thought it odd that my AMD64 system is always quick.
18 --
19 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list