From: Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge starts slowly
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 19:23:45
1 Justin Krejci wrote:
2 > Yes, the second run and subsequent runs for a period of time all seem to be
3 > fairly quick, but I thought it odd that my AMD64 system is always quick.
4
5 The initial slowdown is due to portage having to scan over the entire tree of
6 installed packages, calculating virtuals. Chances are your AMD64 system has
7 fewer packages installed (and is faster by system specification too).
8
9 Hopefully portage 2.1 will make improvements in this area.
10
11 Daniel
12 --
13 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list