From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New Installation
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2017 06:19:47
1 thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > I've not install Gentoo for some time and have some questions.
3 >
4 > It is Solid State Disk 1TB
5 > I'm using Minimal CD (Bootable USB)
6 > Created three partition (I did not create SWAP as I have 16GB or RAM)
7 > I used "fdisk" and follow the instruction from:
8 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Disks
9 >
10 > Though, I'm a bit confused. I did not see the change root command in
11 > those instructions.
12 > Right now I have a prompt: "livecd ~ #"
13 >
14 > and all instruction on the installation page showing: "root #"
15 >
16 > I've created a user: "livecd ~ #useradd -m -G users john"
17 > Will it take effect I'm still inside "livecd" environment.
18 >
19 > I'm confused a bit.
22 It's been a while since I did a install as well plus I'm old as well. I
23 skimmed your link and don't think you should be creating a user at that
24 point. If I recall correctly, creating users is done shortly before
25 rebooting into the new install or even after rebooting. Usually, I do
26 it after rebooting. Generally, I'm more concerned with my new kernel
27 booting etc rather than having a user account, besides root of course.
28 Do set the root password BEFORE booting into the new install. It makes
29 life easier. ;-)
30
31 The chroot command usually comes shortly after downloading and unpacking
32 the stage3 tarball. Until you have that, you don't have anything to
33 chroot into yet.
34
35 I might add, I like a all in one page guide. For me, it seems easier to
36 scroll down, do what is there, scroll down some more etc. It being in
37 sections may be easier for you tho. Use what works. Also, I read over
38 the guide at least twice before I start. The first time I did a Gentoo
39 install, I read it half a dozen times in some spots.
40
41 Hope that helps.
42
43 Dale