From: thelma@×××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New Installation
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2017 07:22:39
1 On 02/03/2017 11:19 PM, Dale wrote:
2 > thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
3 >> I've not install Gentoo for some time and have some questions.
4 >>
5 >> It is Solid State Disk 1TB
6 >> I'm using Minimal CD (Bootable USB)
7 >> Created three partition (I did not create SWAP as I have 16GB or RAM)
8 >> I used "fdisk" and follow the instruction from:
9 >> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Disks
10 >>
11 >> Though, I'm a bit confused. I did not see the change root command in
12 >> those instructions.
13 >> Right now I have a prompt: "livecd ~ #"
14 >>
15 >> and all instruction on the installation page showing: "root #"
16 >>
17 >> I've created a user: "livecd ~ #useradd -m -G users john"
18 >> Will it take effect I'm still inside "livecd" environment.
19 >>
20 >> I'm confused a bit.
23 > It's been a while since I did a install as well plus I'm old as well. I
24 > skimmed your link and don't think you should be creating a user at that
25 > point. If I recall correctly, creating users is done shortly before
26 > rebooting into the new install or even after rebooting. Usually, I do
27 > it after rebooting. Generally, I'm more concerned with my new kernel
28 > booting etc rather than having a user account, besides root of course.
29 > Do set the root password BEFORE booting into the new install. It makes
30 > life easier. ;-)
31 >
32 > The chroot command usually comes shortly after downloading and unpacking
33 > the stage3 tarball. Until you have that, you don't have anything to
34 > chroot into yet.
35 >
36 > I might add, I like a all in one page guide. For me, it seems easier to
37 > scroll down, do what is there, scroll down some more etc. It being in
38 > sections may be easier for you tho. Use what works. Also, I read over
39 > the guide at least twice before I start. The first time I did a Gentoo
40 > install, I read it half a dozen times in some spots.
41 >
42 > Hope that helps.
43 >
44 > Dale
45 >
46 > :-) :-)
47
48 Thanks Dale, that new installation is not going well.
49 I've change the environment and my prompt is still: "(chroot) livecd /#"
50
51 emerge --sync gives me error:
52 "/etc/portage/make.conf", line 11: Invalid variable name '-Wl,--hash-style'
53
54 Line 11 in make.conf:
55 USE="-qt4 -hal -arts -berkdb -acl X gtk dvd alsa cdr cups apache2 ssl foomaticdb truetype kpathsea ppds mysql udev java tiff png usb scanner gimp gimpprint cgi fam nptl t$
56
57 Here is complete make.conf
58
59 CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe
60 CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
61 #LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--hash-style=gnu"
62 MAKEOPTS="-j9"
63
64 USE="-qt4 -hal -arts -berkdb -acl X gtk dvd alsa cdr cups apache2 ssl foomaticdb truetype kpathsea ppds mysql udev java tiff png usb scanner gimp gimpprint cgi fam nptl t$
65
66 CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
67 CPU_FLAGS_X86="3dnow 3dnowext mmx mmxext popcnt sse sse2 sse3 sse4a "
68
69 PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
70 DISTDIR="${PORTDIR}/distfiles"
71 PKGDIR="${PORTDIR}/packages"
72
73 INPUT_DEVICES="evdev"
74 LINGUAS="en"
75 L10N="en"
76 FEATURES="parallel-fetch strict fixlafiles"
77 #VIDEO_CARDS="fglrx radeon"
78 #VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia nouveau"
79 #SANE_BACKENDS="epson2"
80 #PHP_TARGETS="php5-5 php5-6"
81 #PHP_INI_VERSION="production"
82 ACCEPT_LICENSE="${ACCEPT_LICENSE} googleearth PUEL dlj-1.1 Oracle-BCLA-JavaSE"
83
84 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--autounmask-write=y --keep-going --with-bdeps=y --jobs 3"
85
86 GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/gentoo-distfiles/ http://gentoo.osuosl.org/ ftp://mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/gentoo-distfiles/ http://linux.rz.ruhr-uni-b$
87
88 PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
89 PORTAGE_TMPFS="/dev/shm"
90 PORTAGE_NICENESS=3
91 AUTOCLEAN="yes"
92
93 Why isn't "emerge --sync" working?
94 It seems to me the chroot did not work correctly.
95
96 This new manual is not compete and/or accurate :-/
99 Thelma