From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New Installation
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2017 07:49:11
1 thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > On 02/03/2017 11:19 PM, Dale wrote:
3 >> thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
4 >>> I've not install Gentoo for some time and have some questions.
5 >>>
6 >>> It is Solid State Disk 1TB
7 >>> I'm using Minimal CD (Bootable USB)
8 >>> Created three partition (I did not create SWAP as I have 16GB or RAM)
9 >>> I used "fdisk" and follow the instruction from:
10 >>> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Disks
11 >>>
12 >>> Though, I'm a bit confused. I did not see the change root command in
13 >>> those instructions.
14 >>> Right now I have a prompt: "livecd ~ #"
15 >>>
16 >>> and all instruction on the installation page showing: "root #"
17 >>>
18 >>> I've created a user: "livecd ~ #useradd -m -G users john"
19 >>> Will it take effect I'm still inside "livecd" environment.
20 >>>
21 >>> I'm confused a bit.
22 >>
23 >> It's been a while since I did a install as well plus I'm old as well. I
24 >> skimmed your link and don't think you should be creating a user at that
25 >> point. If I recall correctly, creating users is done shortly before
26 >> rebooting into the new install or even after rebooting. Usually, I do
27 >> it after rebooting. Generally, I'm more concerned with my new kernel
28 >> booting etc rather than having a user account, besides root of course.
29 >> Do set the root password BEFORE booting into the new install. It makes
30 >> life easier. ;-)
31 >>
32 >> The chroot command usually comes shortly after downloading and unpacking
33 >> the stage3 tarball. Until you have that, you don't have anything to
34 >> chroot into yet.
35 >>
36 >> I might add, I like a all in one page guide. For me, it seems easier to
37 >> scroll down, do what is there, scroll down some more etc. It being in
38 >> sections may be easier for you tho. Use what works. Also, I read over
39 >> the guide at least twice before I start. The first time I did a Gentoo
40 >> install, I read it half a dozen times in some spots.
41 >>
42 >> Hope that helps.
43 >>
44 >> Dale
45 >>
46 >> :-) :-)
47 > Thanks Dale, that new installation is not going well.
48 > I've change the environment and my prompt is still: "(chroot) livecd /#"
49 >
50 > emerge --sync gives me error:
51 > "/etc/portage/make.conf", line 11: Invalid variable name '-Wl,--hash-style'
52 >
53 > Line 11 in make.conf:
54 > USE="-qt4 -hal -arts -berkdb -acl X gtk dvd alsa cdr cups apache2 ssl foomaticdb truetype kpathsea ppds mysql udev java tiff png usb scanner gimp gimpprint cgi fam nptl t$
55 >
56 > Here is complete make.conf
57 >
58 > CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe
59 > CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
60 > #LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--hash-style=gnu"
61 > MAKEOPTS="-j9"
62 >
63 > USE="-qt4 -hal -arts -berkdb -acl X gtk dvd alsa cdr cups apache2 ssl foomaticdb truetype kpathsea ppds mysql udev java tiff png usb scanner gimp gimpprint cgi fam nptl t$
64 >
65 > CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
66 > CPU_FLAGS_X86="3dnow 3dnowext mmx mmxext popcnt sse sse2 sse3 sse4a "
67 >
68 > PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
69 > DISTDIR="${PORTDIR}/distfiles"
70 > PKGDIR="${PORTDIR}/packages"
71 >
72 > INPUT_DEVICES="evdev"
73 > LINGUAS="en"
74 > L10N="en"
75 > FEATURES="parallel-fetch strict fixlafiles"
76 > #VIDEO_CARDS="fglrx radeon"
77 > #VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia nouveau"
78 > #SANE_BACKENDS="epson2"
79 > #PHP_TARGETS="php5-5 php5-6"
80 > #PHP_INI_VERSION="production"
81 > ACCEPT_LICENSE="${ACCEPT_LICENSE} googleearth PUEL dlj-1.1 Oracle-BCLA-JavaSE"
82 >
83 > EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--autounmask-write=y --keep-going --with-bdeps=y --jobs 3"
84 >
85 > GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/gentoo-distfiles/ http://gentoo.osuosl.org/ ftp://mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/gentoo-distfiles/ http://linux.rz.ruhr-uni-b$
86 >
87 > PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
88 > PORTAGE_TMPFS="/dev/shm"
89 > PORTAGE_NICENESS=3
90 > AUTOCLEAN="yes"
91 >
92 > Why isn't "emerge --sync" working?
93 > It seems to me the chroot did not work correctly.
94 >
95 > This new manual is not compete and/or accurate :-/
96 >
97 > --
98 > Thelma
101 On the USE line, what is that t$ on the end? Never seen that before.
102 Don't forget to do the close quote on the end too. I don't see that
103 there. That could cause issues. I'm not familiar with the hash part it
104 is complaining about. I do know this. The number 1 and the letter l
105 look a awful lot alike on some fonts. Make sure you get the right one
106 on that. Same for the number 0 and the letter O as well. It will get
107 the best of us all at times. I've been known to cheat and use copy and
108 paste. That takes out the person in the chair error. :-D
109
110 I did the last install a few years ago which I think was before the move
111 to the wiki thing. I went digging around. I hope I don't have to do a
112 install anytime soon. I may refer back to my old printout in the shed.
113 I'm not a big fan of the new thing either. I did find this tho.
114
115 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Complete_Handbook
116
117 If you scroll down to the installing section, you may can find something
118 better there. I hope you do because so far, I'm liking my old printout
119 more and more.
120
121 Dale
122