From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Google Chrome now requires wayland and jack audio?
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 16:12:35
1 On Sat, Jul 16, 2022 at 8:53 AM Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 2022-07-15 12:54, Mark Knecht wrote:
6 > > On Fri, Jul 15, 2022 at 12:28 PM Grant Edwards
7 > > <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com <mailto:grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>> wrote:
8 > > >
9 > > > It looks like www-client/google-chrome just added wayland and jack
10 > > > audio to the dependancies. So now I have to have Pulse _and_ Jack?
11 > > >
12 > > > --
13 > > > Grant
14 > >
15 > > Is that truly a Chrome requirement, like the company Google wrote the
16 > > ebuild, or is
17 > > this something a Gentoo dev did for some reason?
18 > >
19 > > I'm curious as the USB disconnect problem seems somehow to be related
20 > > to using Chrome on the host machine for sites that do a lot of audio,
21 like
22 > > YouTube. A clean boot of the host machine, followed by a clean boot of
23 > > the VM
24 > > and I've run for at least an hour with no disconnection problems. I can
25 use
26 > > Chrome for email, messaging and reading newspapers with no problem, but
27 > > I run YouTube and twice I've had USB problems in the VM.
28 >
29 > How is the device for audio set up on the host? It may actually be a
30 > USB-audio device it provides to the VM itself, and that would explain
31 > the issue you are having.
32 >
33 > Dan
34
35 Hi Dan,
36 It is not set up at all for audio on the host. I don't intend to use it
37 in Linux
38 at all at this time. Line6 doesn't support Linux, they provide no Linux
39 software and my use on the computer at all, at least initially, is simply
40 to use the DSP edit control software to create & tweak patches. That will
41 either be by rebooting this machine into Windows, or solving the
42 disconnection problems in the Windows VM. However I have found in the
43 Line6 forums that some people see this disconnection problem even
44 running in Windows natively so possibly I've just been lucky and now
45 seen it in the 2 or so hours I forced myself to use Windows to update
46 the DSP firmware and do an initial checkout of the machine.
47
48 That said the device is a USB audio interface providing 8 USB input
49 and 8 USB output channels from the DSP + a stereo dry input over
50 USB. (And possibly more stuff over USB but at this time I haven't
51 investigated that.) I track, in both Linux and Windows, using Harrison
52 Mixbus32C (the for pay version of Ardour) and I will certainly be
53 investigating that at some future date but for now I simply intend to
54 take the audio output from the DSP to a normal input preamp interface
55 for recording and not use USB at all
56
57 From the standpoint of the Linux host my preference is that KDE
58 and most Linux apps don't even know the device is present.
59
60 Hope this helps,
61 Mark