From: Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: setting boot flag on sda1
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2014 20:11:40
1 On 09/05/14 19:57, James wrote:
2 >Todd Goodman <tsg <at> bonedaddy.net> writes:
3 >
4 >> What does 'gdisk -l /dev/sda' say about GPT and MBR (it usually says
5 >> whether you have a valid GPT and/or MBR before printing information
6 >> about the partitions.)
7 >
8 >gfisk does not seem to be in the tree. That's the old name for the
9 >"gptfdisk" now in the portage tree. The name is now consistent
10 >with upstream. (/sys-apps/gptfdisk)
14 >> As others have mentioned, you need that BIOS boot partition for GRUB2 to
15 >> embed its core.img into since there's no post-MBR gap for it to use with
16 >> GPT. This is different than the partition you mount as /boot.
17 >
18 >> Your BIOS should be able to boot GPT drives but it can be flaky
19 >> depending upon motherboard in my experience.
20 >
21 >> If using GPT drives to boot with BIOS you want a protective MBR which
22 >> encompasses the entire drive (or first 2.2TB if the drive is larger than
23 >> that as that's as big as MBR can handle.) It has type 0xee.
24 >
25 >> You can create that gdisk (by going into the eXpert menu) or you can use
26 >> fdisk to create it.
27 >
28 >Maybe gdisk is on the installation iso? It's not in the portage tree, but
29 >it use to be:
30 >
31 >http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/sys-apps/gdisk/?hideattic=0
32 >
33 >gdisk and gptfdisk are the use the be the same software..
34
35 With a GPT partition and old BIOS 2008 system, I need to set the bootable flag on the protective MSDOS partition. Thats all the BIOS can see.
36
37 I need to use an older fdisk and ignore the dire warning about a GPT partition table being detected.
38
39 But where to find older fdisk and in stall it from chroot environment.
42 Joseph