From: Corbin Bird <corbinbird@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to flash an LSI SAS controller from IR to IT mode on linux with sas2flsh
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2018 19:46:15
1 On 03/20/2018 02:02 PM, Taiidan@×××.com wrote:
2 > On 03/19/2018 08:02 PM, mad.scientist.at.large@××××××××.com wrote:
3 >> A virtual machine is useful largely because it isolates the VM from the real hardware, therefore it's not likely you can update firmware from a VM (you really shouldn't be able to).
4 > Actually you can update firmware from a VM, I have done it many times
5 > on many different PCI-e cards and I already updated the IR mode
6 > firmware to the latest version in a linux VM (but you need DOS to go
7 > IR>IT)
8 >
9 > It is part of the reason as to why SR-IOV was created besides the
10 > performance benefits you also get security benefits with restricted
11 > registers and the inability to flash a malicious firmware from a guest
12 > if you attach a VF to the VM instead of the PF.
13 >
14 > I don't have any UEFI machines as I hate UEFI (all my machines run
15 > coreboot with the grub payload)
16 >> The reason they still want us to upgrade with dos is it's a lowest common denominator, i.e. every one has it or can get it (freedos).  it also helps that it's a minimal enviroment.
17 >>
18 >> In any case, I suggest you run a REAL freedos on a Real machine, so that you can update real not virtual firmware.  i.e. no Virtual Machine.
19 > The issue is not being able to use linux as well and having a bare
20 > metal freedos won't help my disk driver issue there still won't be a
21 > way to load the files.
22 .
23 Curious ... you cannot use 'FreeDOS' even as a bootable cdrom?
24 Its very easy to open the image, tuck in two files and one new
25 directory, then close and burn the image.
26
27 FreeDOS comes with a 'generic' PATA / SATA driver for cdrom drives.
28
29 Correction :
30 (but you need DOS to go IR>IT) ---> the EFI Shell also can do it.
31
32 Corbin