From: "Taiidan@×××.com" <Taiidan@×××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to flash an LSI SAS controller from IR to IT mode on linux with sas2flsh
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2018 19:03:22
1 On 03/19/2018 08:02 PM, mad.scientist.at.large@××××××××.com wrote:
2 > A virtual machine is useful largely because it isolates the VM from the real hardware, therefore it's not likely you can update firmware from a VM (you really shouldn't be able to).
3 Actually you can update firmware from a VM, I have done it many times on
4 many different PCI-e cards and I already updated the IR mode firmware to
5 the latest version in a linux VM (but you need DOS to go IR>IT)
6
7 It is part of the reason as to why SR-IOV was created besides the
8 performance benefits you also get security benefits with restricted
9 registers and the inability to flash a malicious firmware from a guest
10 if you attach a VF to the VM instead of the PF.
11
12 I don't have any UEFI machines as I hate UEFI (all my machines run
13 coreboot with the grub payload)
14 > The reason they still want us to upgrade with dos is it's a lowest common denominator, i.e. every one has it or can get it (freedos).  it also helps that it's a minimal enviroment.
15 >
16 > In any case, I suggest you run a REAL freedos on a Real machine, so that you can update real not virtual firmware.  i.e. no Virtual Machine.
17 The issue is not being able to use linux as well and having a bare metal
18 freedos won't help my disk driver issue there still won't be a way to
19 load the files.