From: Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Restart "frozen" X
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 02:27:01
1 2013/2/27 Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
2
3 > On 02/26/2013 07:18 PM, Joseph wrote:
4 > > I'm running Nvidia driver: 310.32 with my GeForce GTS 450 kernle-3.1.6
5 > >
6 > > but I've noticed it freezes my screen once a day or ever second day.
7 > > Mouse is moving but no icon is responding, nor can I use the keyboard
8 > > (all frozen).
9 > >
10 > > I can login to the system over ssh. I've tried to restart/zap "xdm" it
11 > > doesn't help.
12 > > What else can I do to restart "X"?
15 > If downgrading nvidia-drivers doesn't help check your power supply. My
16 > computer exhibited this issue a while back because the voltages went all
17 > wonky and the hardware really didn't like it - I could still ssh in from
18 > my tablet but the entire computer appeared frozen.
19 >
20 > If I just ran at the console (ie not starting X) the computer would work
21 > fine all day.
22 >
23 > I don't know what nvidia card you have but mine requires two extra power
24 > connectors but the PSU just couldn't supply enough power to keep the GPU
25 > stable.
26 >
27 > Dan
30 Hi,
31
32 I have had that same behaviour for some months now, but wasn't able to find
33 the cause. I am now suspicious of one of the browsers (I use Firefox and
34 Chrome, and always kept them opened), because all I could get was a kernel
35 log message referring to browser traffic (?) prior to one of those freezes.
36 For a few days now, I always close the browsers, and have had no freeze.
37
38 Good luck, and please keep us updated.
39 Francisco
40 --
41 "If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you
42 and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have
43 one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas."
44 - George Bernard Shaw