From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSH tunnel With Portage
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 11:36:57
1 On Monday 14 January 2008, Elyahou ITTAH wrote:
2
3 > Ok, ;)
4 >
5 > My Network have a Squid Proxy who allow only some ports like 80 443...
6
7 Ok, so you should be able to use
8
9 # export http_proxy="proxyname or address"
10 # emerge-webrsync
11
12 To use the already existing proxy in your network. If you insist on using
13 your tunnel, read on.
14
15 > Putty is configurated to connect to a box i have in an other place, it
16 > allow to make a SSH Tunnel who create a socks proxy at localhost:8080.
17
18 So you're forwarding port 8080 on the putty (windows) box to port 1080 on
19 the remote box, where a SOCKS server is listening on that port, correct?
20
21 I'm not sure whether putty allows non-local connections to forwarded
22 ports by default, if this is not the case you'll need to enable that
23 option.
24
25 > Putty listen to this port and send all the frames passing the 443 of
26 > the SQUID proxy to my exterior box.
27
28 How do you do that?
29
30 > I wan't to configure Portage to
31 > use this SOCK proxy at localhost:8080
32
33 "localhost", IIUC, is a windows box, and portage is running on another
34 (linux, on the same network) box. So, at a minimum, you'll need to
35 use "a.b.c.d:8080" as a SOCKS server, where a.b.c.s is the IP address of
36 the windows putty box.
37
38 Assuming you have a SOCKS server at "a.b.c.d:8080" (albeit through a
39 tunnel, but the apps don't know that), then you need to use some
40 socksifying utility for emerge, since (AFAIK) it does not support SOCKS
41 out of the box. So, something like
42
43 # socksify emerge --sync
44
45 should work (though I have not tested it). socksify is part of
46 net-proxy/dante. Of course, you need to specify the SOCKS proxy at
47 a.b.c.d port 8080 in the /etc/socks/socks.conf configuration file (I
48 don't remember the exact syntax to do that right now, but it should be
49 quite intuitive).
50 --
51 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list