From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo wiping out Gtk 2 support from packages that support it?
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 17:16:11
1 On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 9:44 AM, pk <peterk2@××××××××.se> wrote:
2 > On 2011-07-07 09:30, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >
4 >> Gentoo users have developed a certain expectation over the years,
5 >> whereby devs will take user needs seriously and go to extra-ordinary
6 >> lengths to support everything under the sun.
7 >>
8 >> That's what Gentoo does. That's how the system by and large works, and
9 >> that's what users have come to expect. It's unreasonable for a dev to
10 >> think they can willy-nilly change that based SOLELY on their own
11 >> opinion, as the greater community was not built around that behaviour.
12 >
13 > I think so too. There should be some sort of consensus, at least among
14 > the developers (I think most, that I've come across, are reasonable and
15 > listen to us users) before they do something like this... In a sense,
16 > removing options (USE) at the sole discretion of the developer will make
17 > Gentoo look like any other Linux distro. Options that the user can
18 > decide is what makes Gentoo unique.
19 >
20 > Best regards
21 >
22 > Peter K
23
24 +1, although what we don't know from reading only the bug report is
25 whether the decision was in fact made by the individual dev or is part
26 of a larger consensus in the dev community. Without that info I don't
27 think it's appropriate to draw any specific conclusions about what is
28 motivating this change.
29
30 I do think that if the user community was to ask the dev community
31 (nicely now!) ;-) about this that we'd get a reasonable answer, or at
32 least some greater understanding of what's driving the decision.
33
34 Cheers,
35 Mark