From: pk <peterk2@××××××××.se>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo wiping out Gtk 2 support from packages that support it?
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 16:45:50
1 On 2011-07-07 09:30, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > Gentoo users have developed a certain expectation over the years,
4 > whereby devs will take user needs seriously and go to extra-ordinary
5 > lengths to support everything under the sun.
6 >
7 > That's what Gentoo does. That's how the system by and large works, and
8 > that's what users have come to expect. It's unreasonable for a dev to
9 > think they can willy-nilly change that based SOLELY on their own
10 > opinion, as the greater community was not built around that behaviour.
11
12 I think so too. There should be some sort of consensus, at least among
13 the developers (I think most, that I've come across, are reasonable and
14 listen to us users) before they do something like this... In a sense,
15 removing options (USE) at the sole discretion of the developer will make
16 Gentoo look like any other Linux distro. Options that the user can
17 decide is what makes Gentoo unique.
18
19 Best regards
20