From: Zac Slade <krakrjak@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What can I use for a compressed file system?
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 07:57:11
1 On Thursday 11 May 2006 19:51, W.Kenworthy wrote:
2 > What can I use for a compressed file system? I am looking at setting up
3 > a loopback mounted filesystem that I want to use to store backups into.
4 > Compression is needed as space will become a limitation in the future (I
5 > want to do a whole system backup that so far is 2:1 compressed via
6 > tar.bzip2. I am thinking of using dirvish into a compressed loopback
7 > mount - but how do I set up a compressed fs?
8 Have you tried reiserfs? As long as it is NOT mounted with the "notail"
9 option it can sometimes save 50% on space compared to ext3/jfs/xfs depending
10 on your usage.
11
12 There is also a possiblility of using LVM2 snapshots also if you have LVM2
13 devices already set up. I'm not sure how dirvish is for backup and I'm not
14 sure how good a loopback backup to a file really is anyway. That depends on
15 the consistency of at least a partition anyway. Maybe you are trying to
16 solve the wrong problem?
19 Zac Slade
20 krakrjak@××××××××××.net
21 ICQ:1415282 YM:krakrjak AIM:ttyp99