From: Willie Wong <wwong@××××××××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Xmonad, beagle-search, and mime types
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 15:20:05
On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 03:45:14PM +0100, Damian wrote:
> So I tried to see how xdg-open works, but the man page didn't give me > any useful information. The related command, xdg-mime, doesn't work as > I expected.
I asked a similar question a week or so back.
> But xdg-open (and therefore beagle-search) still refuses to open jpeg > images with geeqie. > > Any ideas?
xdg-open is just a shell script. If you are interested, take a look at less `which xdg-open` and you will be enlightened as to why it is a complete piece of crap unless you are using KDE, GNOME, or XFCE. (Hint, notice how nowhere in the script does it read whatever you modified with xdg-mime.) A possible way to work around it (depends on your application, which, in your case, is beagle, which I am not familiar with) is to go into the offending application that is calling xdg-open and see if you can configure MIME types in there yourself. The application that made me look this up, Jabref, does allow that configuration. Your mileage can of course vary. Cheers, W -- Willie W. Wong wwong@××××××××××××××.edu Data aequatione quotcunque fluentes quantitae involvente fluxiones invenire et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton