From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I think I messed up USE flag by using -alsa as Gnome has no sound
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 22:27:26
1 At Tue, 12 Jul 2005 16:48:01 +1000 Richard Watson <waty@×××××××××××.au> wrote:
2
3 >>> Have you loaded the newly-compiled alsa driver modules for your sound
4 >>> card, run alsaconf and unmuted the mixer via alsamixer?
5 >>> Holly
6 >
7 > Hi again - I tried
8 > # emerge -s alsa
9 > and got loads of output. Would you know what the correct emerge command is
10 > for the alsa driver modules? Does alsaconf come as part of the driver
11 > install?
12 >
13 > I had installed alsamixer (with -alsa ...) earlier and it loads a blank
14 > interface with no controls at all.
15 >
16 > At this stage I'm doing
17 > # emerge --update --ask --deep --verbose --newuse --tree world
18
19 One of my favorite commands.
20
21 > as setting alsa on is asking quite few items to want to recompile.
22
23 For me, the key to sound was adding "gstreamer" to USE (and then
24 running one of my favorite commands). I use gnome.
25
26 allan
27 --
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list