From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Major site redesign, SEO, and 301 redirects
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2015 11:26:04
1 On 01/10/2015 13:22, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On 9/29/2015 8:02 PM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Another point of concern. When radically changing infrastructure like this,
4 >> why not just do the entire thing under a new DNS and have both online for a
5 >> while, until the new site if vetted and the actual real bugs worked out?
6 >
7 > Well... not sure how that would work, since we are not changing domain
8 > names, only redesigning the site.
9 >
10 > What I would do if I was a web dev is just set up a test site, then set
11 > up the development site for the customer under a subdirectory, ie:
12 >
13 > https://mycustomtestingsite.com/customer-a/index.html
14
15 Yes, that's the sane way
16
17 >> Also, your company should force this contractor to take a large liability
18 >> policy, in the name of your company, should things go really fubar....
19 >
20 > Interesting idea. Not sure how well it would go over.
21 >
22 > Is that a common thing in the industry for large corporate redesigns
23 > like this?
24
25 Oh yes, most definitely if the contractor is being paid to provide an
26 entire solution end-to-end.
27
28 Not so much if they are just providing a small definite component of a
29 larger system that you control and direct.
33 Alan McKinnon
34 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com