From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: What is up with the libreoffice ebuild?
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 18:26:37
1 On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 1:55 PM, Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
2 > Hi, Michael.
3 > On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 01:02:59PM -0400, Michael Mol wrote:
4 >> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 12:49 PM, Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
5 >> It could be that IPP is just becoming the preferred protocol, and other
6 >> print queue managing protocols are going the way of Gopher.
7 >
8 > Preferred by whom?  Firefox, for example, manages lprng just fine.  It's
9 > really not a big deal supporting an extra spooler interface, particularly
10 > a simple one.
11
12 "IPP is just becoming" indicates a change. Where's change coming from?
13 Demand to satisfy new users. Who are the new users? Probably the
14 people running turnkey installs of Ubuntu.
15
16 For me, IPP and CUPS have "just worked" beautifully*. Any SKU of
17 Windows 7 higher than 'starter' will talk to a CUPS daemon just fine,
18 and will automatically see a CUPS daemon running on the network if the
19 daemon is using running mdns-sd. The one trouble I've had is getting
20 those mdns-sd broadcasts forwarded across my subnets.
21
22 Change happens.
25 >> Is there a simple IPP daemon which could wrap lprng?
26 >
27 > Adding a layer of complexity to a daemon to cope with added complexity in
28 > a client program?  I doubt it.  It sounds like madness.
29
30 Isn't that what inetd does? nc? Hell, isn't that what "does one thing,
31 and one thing only" KISS philosophy behind unixy commands and piping
32 philosophy has been about all along? Insert a shim or adapter between
33 two things which are related, but not quite compatible?
36 * And, yes, I realize that, for some, it doesn't. That's what mailing
37 lists like this are helpful for...troubleshooting.
40 :wq