From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: What is up with the libreoffice ebuild?
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 18:02:52
1 Hi, Michael.
2
3 On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 01:02:59PM -0400, Michael Mol wrote:
4 > On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 12:49 PM, Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
5 > > Hi, Paul.
6
7 > > On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 11:28:16AM -0500, Paul Hartman wrote:
8 > >> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 11:16 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
9 > >> > This is rather odd.  For the longest, every time I had a cups update, I had
10 > >> > to delete my printers then add them back again.  It would not print until I
11 > >> > did so.
12
13 > >> I have to do that every time I plug my printer in...
14
15 > >> I print so infrequently, every time I want to print I turn the printer
16 > >> on and plug it into my PC, and then spend 25 minutes trying to make it
17 > >> work with CUPS again.
18
19 > > I also print infrequently.  I turn my printer on, and it simply works,
20 > > straight away (after warming up; it's a laser printer).
21
22 > > However, I use lprng, not cups.  It's good that we have a choice over
23 > > what software we use, isn't it?  ;-(
24
25 > It could be that IPP is just becoming the preferred protocol, and other
26 > print queue managing protocols are going the way of Gopher.
27
28 Preferred by whom? Firefox, for example, manages lprng just fine. It's
29 really not a big deal supporting an extra spooler interface, particularly
30 a simple one.
31
32 > Is there a simple IPP daemon which could wrap lprng?
33
34 Adding a layer of complexity to a daemon to cope with added complexity in
35 a client program? I doubt it. It sounds like madness.
36
37 > --
38 > :wq
41 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).