From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: What is up with the libreoffice ebuild?
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 17:06:43
1 On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 12:49 PM, Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
2 > Hi, Paul.
3 >
4 > On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 11:28:16AM -0500, Paul Hartman wrote:
5 >> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 11:16 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >> > This is rather odd.  For the longest, every time I had a cups update, I had
7 >> > to delete my printers then add them back again.  It would not print until I
8 >> > did so.
9 >
10 >> I have to do that every time I plug my printer in...
11 >
12 >> I print so infrequently, every time I want to print I turn the printer
13 >> on and plug it into my PC, and then spend 25 minutes trying to make it
14 >> work with CUPS again.
15 >
16 > I also print infrequently.  I turn my printer on, and it simply works,
17 > straight away (after warming up; it's a laser printer).
18 >
19 > However, I use lprng, not cups.  It's good that we have a choice over
20 > what software we use, isn't it?  ;-(
21
22 It could be that IPP is just becoming the preferred protocol, and
23 other print queue managing protocols are going the way of Gopher. Is
24 there a simple IPP daemon which could wrap lprng?
27 :wq