From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] way off-topic - is it possible to log webmail messages content in an enterprise network
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2008 14:30:17
1 On 6 Aug 2008, at 14:28, Daniel da Veiga wrote:
2 > On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 10:45 PM, Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com>
3 > wrote:
4 >> ...
5 >> I know that things such as address, trafic, bandwith are easy to be
6 >> tracked and logged, but what about, say, my gmail messages - is it
7 >> possible to log them also? Which package should I use or look for?
8 >
9 > ...
10 > The only way I can think for you to keep track of your messages is to
11 > sniff unencrypted packages (https wouldn't work), look for specific
12 > patterns and use that to estimate usage, of course, I'm considering
13 > your statement about bandwidth, traffic, address and the fact that
14 > something like that would be a hard, complex and not NEAR fail proof
15 > concept, along with the privacy issues, of course.
16
17 I read OP's question that he isn't interested in the *bandwidth* of
18 the Hotmail messages, per-se - I thought he was just giving bandwidth
19 monitoring as an example of a routine network management task that is
20 easy & obvious to undertake in establishing the background to his
21 question.
22
23 In some companies it is indeed necessary to have a handle on this
24 sort of thing. AIUI to meet certain financial regulations intended to
25 prevent insider-trading (Sarbanes-Oxley?) one must have facilities in
26 place to monitor all communications in & out the building. I suppose
27 that at one time recording all telephone calls would have required a
28 prohibitive quantity of cassette tapes, so a supervisor listening in
29 randomly would be acceptable, but leaving webmail accounts ignored is
30 a huge hole.
31
32 Privacy issues should be covered by a company IT usage policy. I
33 think that stating that all traffic is logged would cover this - see
34 your lawyer as to how you phrase this exactly. Ensure that auditing
35 is undertaken in a documented and regimented manner - it should
36 probably be a separate role from IT admin and or a boss probably
37 shouldn't be looking at his employees emails; you should probably
38 have a person randomly looking at messages for *specific* infractions
39 (and they should probably be trained to ignore anything "naughty"
40 that isn't specifically within their remit).
41
42 I have played with wireshark &/or etherreal in the past and have been
43 AMAZED at how clearly interactions can be logged when filtering is
44 set correctly.
45
46 Daniel: might it not be possible to have the firewall drop https
47 connections to hotmail / gmail / yahoo mail domains, thus forcing the
48 users back to unencrypted http? That begs the question: if you can do
49 that, why not just completely block access to webmail sites?
50
51 Stroller.