From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] way off-topic - is it possible to log webmail messages content in an enterprise network
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2008 13:28:21
1 On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 10:45 PM, Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi, guys.
3 >
4 > Sorry to post such off-topic message, but I didn't know where I could
5 > ask this question.
6 >
7 > I know that things such as address, trafic, bandwith are easy to be
8 > tracked and logged, but what about, say, my gmail messages - is it
9 > possible to log them also? Which package should I use or look for?
12 Comparing network statistics with webmail messages is not that simple.
13 The only way I can think for you to keep track of your messages is to
14 sniff unencrypted packages (https wouldn't work), look for specific
15 patterns and use that to estimate usage, of course, I'm considering
16 your statement about bandwidth, traffic, address and the fact that
17 something like that would be a hard, complex and not NEAR fail proof
18 concept, along with the privacy issues, of course.
19
20 Now, if you wanna keep track of YOUR messages, the best way is to
21 activate IMAP on gmail, and use a client, configure it to store
22 messages locally, and that's about it... Beagle would index this kinda
23 content very easily, and your mail client too.
26 Daniel da Veiga