From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Dynamically change PORTAGE_TMPDIR via bashrc?
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2015 15:21:44
1 On Sat, Sep 26, 2015 at 10:08 AM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Florian Gamböck <ml <at> floga.de> writes:
3 >> Now, before I try some crazy stunts like bind-mounting $D and $ED on "preinst"
4 >> and cleaning up in "postinst", I wanted to know if some of you guys did
5 >> similar experiments and/or have some advice that you could share with me.
6 >
7 > I have been following 'bcache' as an interesting addition to complex
8 > compiling scenarios. I'm not certain how it will help your 'wild ideas',
9 > but it is worth a look, imho [1]
10
11 Honestly, I'm hard-pressed to think of situations where you're better
12 off with anything other than either tmpfs or whatever filesystem your
13 /usr happens to be on.
14
15 However, if you do want to build on something like bcachefs and you're
16 using an ssd you might just want to use a pure log-based filesystem
17 like f2fs. You can afford to go far more experimental for temp space.
18 I haven't studied the design of bcachefs closely, so I'm not sure how
19 it would compare for this use. I know it has made a bunch of noise
20 lately, though honestly I'm not impressed with some of the hype (not
21 something I blame the authors for - more the groupies).
22
23 One thing that both zfs and bcachefs seem to be doing (not that I'm in
24 an expert in either) is taking a multi-tiered approach to storage.
25 That is, writes can go into a durable log on a separate device and
26 then be consolidated onto more long-term storage. I suspect that this
27 might help with some of the fragmentation issues that you run into
28 with COW. Then again, I don't know how its performance would compare
29 to just dumping everything right to a single tier like btrfs and then
30 just periodically having some kind of smart defragmenter that just
31 cleans up the stuff that really needs it.
34 Rich